Friday, July 31, 2009

There has to be a key somewhere

I havent posted in a few months, because a lot has happened and ive been trying to process everything that has gone on.

I didn't get into the coast guard. I received the 'we're sorry to inform you letter' in, I guess it was May, and in June found out why. My eyesight, apparently, was disqualifying. They would not issue a waiver and I am not eligible for service at all with the US Coast Guard. This hurt on a number of levels, mostly because I feel as if they wasted a lot of peoples time - including mine. MEPS should have caught this as a problem back in December and told me right then and there, instead of wasting 6 months for a lot of people when I never should have been allowed past that point to begin with. The other thing is that I know they took one look at my physical, ignored my correctable vision and my really stellar qualifications and tossed my packet into the 'no' pile. That hurts too. When I first got the no go, I was hopeful because I knew how to proceed and that I could better myself to the point where I would be a better candidate. Now? I'm examining options and licking my wounds.

On a personal level, my sister and her roommate moved back home with their dog and cat, adopted out the dog to another family, and have decided to move back to Tucson. I don't know if them moving back is the best decision for my sister, who I feel would live a healthier lifestyle here with the family in California. But, its not my life or my decision, and not my place to give her orders.

Work is going okay; i've hit the one year mark at the old BN and am still looking for the 'real job' but who knows? The economy has not got me optimistic about being able to make a living on my own.

On the bright side, i've been knitting up a storm - I finished my chunky lion-brand version of OWLS, the back of my Central Park Hoodie, and am kicking butt on my Cloud Sweater. I'll probably be spliting for the sleeves this weekend! Very exciting. I'll be teaching a yoked sweater class (the OWLS sweater) starting Aug 19 at Clever Knits in Vista so SIGN UP :) its a great price and a fun sweater.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Your Eyesight ? No wonder the country is in deep poop. Haven't these guys heard of corrective lenses ?

Unbelievable. Totally unbelievable.
Well, the Coast Guard's loss is gonna be some other outfit's phenomenal gain. All bets are on!!
You just keep knitting! LOVE, Aunt Bobina