Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Plum Cupcakes

I saw the recipe for Plum and Cardamom Cupcakes over on No Turnip, and decided with it being plum season and all - what better way to celebrate my dear Melissa's birthday! So Plum and Cardamom Cupcakes it was. And then I realized that, surprise surprise, I had used up all the cardamom - so i substituted pumpkin pie spice to give it that little kick. That was like, a week and a half ago, and i've made more cupcakes since then. What I did the first time was simple: Pureed 8 small plums (half red, half black), made 1 box yellow cake mix as directed, substituting the puree for the water, and added 2 heaping tsp. pumpkin pie spice. mix. pour into cupcake cups. bake as directed. Blammo! Near perfection.

The batter had a really delicate pink tinge to it, and had I not used up every single drop of red food coloring when I made red velvet cake back in June, I would have kicked it up with a few drops for color. The frosting was basic cream cheese frosting. I was going to perk it up with some spices but i was lazy and you know what? Not everything needs to be perfect and if you are a frosting person, cream cheese frosting is JUST FINE. If you are not a frosting person, that is okay because you are like me. I don't like frosting to interfere with my cake.

final verdict? very moist and sweet without being overly sweet. The plums give it a great taste and the pie spice compliments it well. They aren't going to knock your socks off with a strong flavour, but they taste delish. I had to cook them a bit longer than i would have normally, although it may be my oven, which is still new. I really liked the recipe and i might use a little less liquid next time (i did add a bit of water) but overall it's a keeper.



No comments: