Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The cost of education

I suppose I should change around some of that about me stuff on the blog, but like most sentimental folks, I have a hard time letting go, especially considering how many of my close friends are still cadets at the academy - it is a bit wierd for me to think that I won't be going back in the fall, and instead, I must make my own way in the real world as a real adult. Don't think I haven't seriously considered going back and getting a Bachelor of Science to hang next to my Bachelor of Arts.

For my part, I am exceedingly grateful for the opportunities my education has given me. I have learned from some of the most knowledgable and specialized - and supportive - professors in this country; I have participated in research at a level generally unheard of in undergraduate education and constantly encouraged to do my own, original research and to seek publication (no luck yet!); I have been a part - and continue to be a part - of what is truly an amazing family and close-knit industry; I have travelled the world and gained hands on experiance most people never even dream of having. I have painted, chipped, sanded, greased, and cleaned from one side of the pacific to the other; written papers on everything from sovereignty to port security, human rights to engine parts, and everything in between. I have welded things together and taken things apart physically and intellectually.

I got a degree - that 60 thousand dollar piece of paper and the monetary cost was insane. But the actual cost - four years of literal blood sweat and tears, four years of memories and shipmates and drunken nights and extremely hard working days - countless (okay, specifically counted) nautical miles and every mind numbing, brain blowing sunset and sunrise in between.

It isn't for everyone, but if you are anything like me, the cost of working hard pays off in beautiful memories, and it's damned hard to give up those sea-sunsets.

So education has it's cost, but damn is it hard to go back to the every-day land life.

No comments: