Thursday, December 11, 2008

Getting Closer

The wonderful proseknitic from Ravelry let me know I hadn't updated in a while, particularly in regards to my Coast Guard stuff, and there has been quite a bit going on!

First of all, my paperwork is almost done. This is a big deal, and probably the most time consuming process- it's taken months to get it all done, and i feel like it should have gotten done sooner, but it is a lengthy and redundant process. I'm only missing a few pieces now; some letters and one transcript from a junior college. My recruiter was pleased I came in with almost the entire thing finished, apparently people come in with packets missing half the paperwork all the time. She loved my narrative, and I cannot express how relieved I was to hear that!

I do not have a hard time writing; I can be terribly verbose about any number of subjects, but when it comes to those "Why You Want To Do ________" essays where you basically have to sell yourself, I panic. Its hard to write something without coming off as an arrogant bastard, especially when you are imminently qualified for a position. It's a balance thing which I feel can be difficult to achieve. Naturally, I was worried about my paper; the original was nearly four pages double spaced and cutting it in half was very difficult! Lucky for me, I had the benefit of running my paper by some friends and my father, who were all more than happy to cut the fluff out and make suggestions. The result? "The best narrative [she'd] read all year." I feel thats worth bragging about, but we'll see how my interview panel likes it. Here's crossing my fingers!

Other than waiting on other people for paperwork, I have to report to MEPS this week for my physical. There, I will be poked, prodded, and examined and with luck they will find me physically fit enough for service. Weight isn't an issue (although I'm still watching it); my max weight is 157 and at worst I am a solid 10 lbs under that, which is a relief. I may have written it before, but I was almost 180 lbs when I came home from college, and I've been working my tail off to get to weight!

Once my paper work is done and I get my physical and security clearances, at the point I have to wait for three officers to get together, and then I have the dreaded interview. Post interview? It's a waiting game, really. My interview will be in sometime between now and the last week of January. Hurry up and wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool - thanks for the update. Hope you survive the physical - MEPS is not a good time for anyone.

Best I can suggest for the interview is be honest - but not sappy.