Tuesday, March 3, 2009

MEPS, part 2

I went back to MEPS today; not for a physical but for a consult. So i dragged my ass out of bed at 3:30 in the morning, was out of the house by a quarter past 4, and an hour later i began the whole horrible process. I wore my lucky Habs socks, and I didnt think they were working at first, because true to form, I went in and got yelled at to sit and wait, since they were only processing people who were shipping out first. No problem - i expected it and had brought a book. Then I got yelled at for not joining the other girls (who were shipping) in the inspection room, which apparently I was supposed to get in on despite not shipping out today. Got my happy butt inspected (got naked, showed my hands and feet, got my height and weight taken, got dressed again) and then waited for an hour while they figured out where their own asses were. I got taken down to the Naval Hospital by the duty driver, where I had my endocrinology appointment. Doc was cool, i felt very comfortable with him and he was able to be straight with me and didn't seem to think what he's thinking I have (Late onset nonclassical CAH) is going to prevent me from going in, so there's no issue, they just have to make sure thats what it is. So to blood-sucking I went.

Naturally I got the phlebotomy intern, who, while very cute and sweet, managed to miss my veins twice (once in each arm), and then called for back-up and apologized to me for all the stabbing and kept asking me if i was feeling alright. Back up, a very serious filipina phlebotomist, showed up, stabbed me unceremoniously (and unlike cute guys stabbings, hers hurt), and filled my vials with no problem.

I tried to make the guy feel better by telling him my veins were shy, but he was just a little horrified that my vein was just a little lower than he'd stabbed. Poor kid.

At any rate, I was in and out of MEPS by 11, and everyone was nice to me over the course of the day, and there were no major complications (with the exception of the stabbings and getting a bit lost at the hospital on my way to the appointment) so im blaming the socks and a good attitude.

now i am having a cup of coffee, y'all.

No comments: